Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My first 26.2......

So after many years of my brother in law Ruston and Kirks Uncle trying to get me to run a marathon, I finally gave in and said yes! With only a month to go til the marathon too...yikes!! The Logan Top of Utah on Sept 19 2009 was the marathon of choice. Its one of Rustons top favs and he said its a good first timmer marathon. So I put the running into over drive and tried to run as much as I could for a month. I did a half marathon(13.1) with Lynette as part of my training. Then ran a 15 and 20 miler(at seperate times of course..haha) by myself to get my body used to running for so long. To my pleasant surprise, both werent that bad! Plus I run to work 2 or 3 times a week. I was as prepared as I was going to be! I had no idea how I was going to do! Ran my 20 in 3 hours 9 mins, so was estimating to run the marathon in 4 hours 30 mins. I ran it in 4 hours 20 mins...10 mins faster than I planned...woooooo hoooooo!!
Can I just say....next to natural child birth, that was one of the hardest things I have ever done! It was awesome/fun/ hard/ painful! First 18 were great! Was feeling good! I was expecting to hit my wall around mile 20 or 21...yah...lessson 1- you dont predict when you will hit your wall...its hits you!! It hit me at mile 18! My legs turned into lead...like dead weight and boy did they hurt something fierce! I saw Kirk for the first time at mile 18 and he asked how I was doing and all I could say was my legs are lead! How was I supposed to run 8 more miles like that? Got to mile 19 and thought I would walk a little...lesson 2- walking is NOT easier! It hurts and is way harder. So...I kept running. Had to slow my pace a little which I hate doing!
Pulled the strength and endurance outta somewhere(did A LOT of praying actually...constant prayer in my heart) and kept going telling myself my legs are light as feathers! The dumb thing is cardiovascularly(is that a word), I felt like I could go forever, but my body was so feeling it! It was a total inner battle the last 8 miles! Got to mile 24, saw Kirk again and started crying. Lesson 3- running and crying...not a good combo! You cant breathe! I couldnt help it though! Kirk looked worried, so I told him even though it was so hard, it was a good cry! He encouraged me saying only 2 more to go and meet you at the finish line where Stef and G and our kids were! That kept my going! Really struggled through the last 2! Rounded the last corner and....FINISH LINE BABY!! Never has anything looked so good! I stepped up my pace a little, but it seemed like the finish line kept getting further and further away! Lesson 4- by the end you are delusional! Really! I made it though! I was finished! I DID IT!!! I was out of it enough, I walked right past the lady handing out the metals. She had to call me back! SO glad she did! So wanted that!!! Saw Kirk my kids and Stef and G and cried again! This time I kept crying cause I could breathe! Also had my new found friend Melanie come and cheer me on. Saw and heard her at mile 15 and 23! She made me a poster and every thing! It was great! Had some there with me in spirit as well....Lynette(thanks for the awesome sticker....love it), Bek, Nat, my Dad and a few others! I know you wanted to be there, and you were! I felt you all!! Cant tell you how nice all that support was! Thank you everyone!!! So great to be loved!! Over all... two thumbs up! It was a great time and run! I didnt get any blisters and I didnt throw up...yay!!! Will I do it again....YES!!! Not for a while though...

We drove up to Logan the night before to sleep over so we didnt have to get up any earlier than we had to. 4 in the morning comes pretty early! Like we could sleep anyway though! Ruston and I getting our packets at the Expo! Being there with all the runners got me so excited and pumped!!
Showin off our new shirts! Love them!

In the packets, they gave out real pearls! Pretty sweet!

Also in the packets were these tats! Fun!!
At the buses that take you up the canyon! Thats the Logan Temple in the background! It wasnt cold down there, but when we got to the top.....brrrrrrr!! They had one fire going...just one and not a very big warming tent. That would be my only complaint....more fires and more/bigger warming tents!
Stef and the kids...minus ES! She wanted to sleep over at a friends house more than she wanted to come to my race...sniff, sniff! It was okay really, but I missed her being there!!
Toby filled in for ES...haha! Love Tobs!!
G took this pic of R! She looks so small from this view! G you must be a giant!!
Mile 18....we all know what happened there! What happens at mile 18, stays at mile 18...haha!!
Mile 24....here come the tears!!
Yay!!! So beautiful! Theres my time up top!!
The taking off of the chip! They dont mess around either! The second you are done running they are all over you....
More crying! My poor boy...his face is right in my pit! Dont worry...you know I smelled good!
Missin our ES!:(
Me and my medal...that I walked right by!
Doin okay...talkin and drinkin..
Still standing...
Sharing my icecream sandwich...and still standing..
Ahh...not standing anymore! Yay!! I have to take my running shoes off almost immediately right after I run every time! Cant stand to leave them on! E was nice and did it for me!
Kirk filming me crossing the finish line....good times!! Next....Ogden Marathon May 2010!! Who's runnin with???

Just want to say a special thank you to my hubby! Thanks Kirk for supproting your crazy wife and letting me do my thing and for being there!

4 comments:

Joey and Nettifer said...

I am totally sitting at my desk at work crying! You are so inspring. I loved reading this post and I am so proud of you! Way to go Angela!!!! You are my goal! I so heart you!

I am so sad I couldn't be there. Know I was thinking of you all day!

Anonymous said...

My favorite part of the pics is in TV on in the background is totally Jamie Lee Curtis doing thstrip dance in True Lies...

And Abe with his face in your pit - LOL!

sarahw said...

Wow Angela!! You are inspiring. You did an awesome job. It's funny that you ran the Logan marathon, Rex was really really close to doing that marathon also. Since we live in California and it is in Utah, the elevation difference would have been unbearable. He wants to run one in the los angeles area next year. Come run one down here. Your cuz Sarah.

Unknown said...

You so crack me up! I love hearing your voice through your writing.
Now that I'm not pregnant anymore... I am so ready to run a marathon! I loved the 'wall hitting you' sentence! It was my favorite!
Great job!!! And you made GREAT time! You are awesome. I'm excited to run the ragnar w/ you and hope we get to spend at least a little time together.