Thursday, November 5, 2009

Metal mouth(is so dont call him that)
So back in October I took AT down to Kirks Uncle who's an Orthodontist in Spanish Fork to have him evaluated. We've always known he was going to have to have work done, but we really had no idea what we were in for!!! They have 3 classifications for how bad a mouth is class 1 being not too bad and class 3 being the worst! AT was...of course a class 3! Basically his mouth is to small for his big teeth. Crowding and aligment problems on top and bottom, front and back teeth crossbites, and other terms where I just say oh and shake my head, but I am learning! To quote Kirks Uncle..."We have our work cut out for us". Bring it on!! So every week for the past 4, AT and I have been driving to Spanish Fork beginning his treatment. We are in this for the next 5 years people! The drive down, the money spent and the peace of mind having Kirks Uncle do it are so worth getting our boy fixed! I was thinking the drive down with just AT and I would be some good visiting and bonding time, but hes like his father and isnt much of a talker. So we listen to music together! At least he doesnt complain and ask me not to sing....


What is that little contraption in his mouth you ask? Its the 2nd step(first was spacers between the teeth for 2 weeks) in his treatment...called a RPE(Rapid Palatal Expander) translation....the thingy they cemented to his teeth that is going to widen and expand the top of his mouth. He has to wear it for 6 months, and we have to click it twice a day to widen it. I feel so bad cause it hurts him everytime! He has a hard time swallowing, eating and talking, and he slurps a lot, but once his mouth gets used to it he will be almost normal. Theres a lot of good stuff he cant eat too! Anything sticky, candy, gum, nuts, popcorn...etc for the next oh....5 years! Think I need one of those in my mouth...haha! All the other stuff he has to have done....an Archwire(?), face mask(aka....head gear...dont laugh) full upper and lower braces and retainers! Poor kid....sheesh!! I just remind him when hes ready to date he will be all good! Since hes so not into girls right now like that, it doesnt really help him...These 2 tools we are going to be using for the next little while. The one on the left is like a seringe to get the food out that gets stuck in that thing. Wouldnt believe how much food gets stuck in there....annoying! The one on th right is what I used to click and widen his mouth. I put it in a little hole in the RPE and push it back towards his throat to widen his mouth....ouch! So this is AT's life for the next little while....good times!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love to hear you say sheesh!
Poor kid! I cringe thinking of widening that thing for my kid, twould be hard.
At least it's all being done by someone you trust. A little bonding time isn't so bad either.